L.A. Girl/L.A Colors Cosmetics: Are There Fake Ones?

This goes out to all beauty bloggers out there.

A few months ago, I blogged about how my fascination over lipsticks started. I mentioned about this particular brand that was only available at NCCC Mall of Davao. The name is L.A Girl. I currently own two Luxury Creme Lip Color lippies; one in  Amour and the other one is Devoted. I got them for only 85php.

(Image belongs to its rightful owner)

Last week, a friend of mine who was crazy-jealous about my Devoted lipstick, told me that she scored the exact same shade at the newly renovated beauty section of SM City Davao, which happened to introduce new brands including Elf, Kate, and L.A. Girl.She was bragging about how happy she was that she finally have one and that she never have to borrow from me ever again.

She also told me that she got hers for 299php. I was like, “WHAT?”. She got confused of my sudden outburst. I told her that I only got mine for only 85php and she squealed “WHAT THE?!” I borrowed her tube and examined it. I didn’t find any unusualities; packaging is the same, scent is the same, color pay-off and consistency is the same. And I thought that’s kinda weird.

There were two things that pooled my mind that very moment. 1.) SM City is overpriced, or 2.) Mine is fake. I googled L.A. Girl pricelist and I was directed to this page. Approximately, Luxury Lip Creme sells for $3. That explains SM City’s price tag. I also researched some facts about fake L.A. Girl cosmetics, but to no avail.

This really bothers me, because I love my L.A. Girl lippies, and it would break my heart if I find out that they’re fake.

Can somebody please enlighten me?

Julie Alontaga is the Beauty Content Creator and Editor of As Told By Julz. She works as a VA-SEO Specialist for a Web Development Company based in Australia. When she's not at work, she spends her free time binge watching movies and TV series, cooking/baking, or playing SIMS 4.

13 Comments

1. kimmyblog
    June 26, 2011

been to SM..and na-shock ako! I think the ones na nasa NC are fake >.<

2. Julz
    June 26, 2011

I think so, too. =(

3. Czarina
    June 27, 2011

I'm so sorry to hear that hun. 🙁
    I hate it when people sell fake cosmetics. Sometimes you don't know who to trust when ordering or buying from a different source. Don't be so bummed love.<3

4. Julz
    June 27, 2011

I know right? I totally didn't saw that coming, because who would've known? It's was sold in the department store, no one will expect fake cosmetics loitering in there. but, oh well, lesson learned!=)

5. Diane
    June 28, 2011

thanks for joining my giveaway! nice posts, all were written so well! interesting blog.. following you already! thanks again!

6. Julz
    June 28, 2011

Thank you Diane.. 🙂 I'm a long time blogger, but I'm a newbie in beauty blogging. I'm trying to get some inspiration from good beauty bloggers like you.. ^-^

Your prizes are amazing, by the way. I would love to have them all..heheh just kidding.. 🙂

7. swexie
    June 28, 2011

I also bought LA cosmetics in NCCC Lachmi and they're cheap. I didn't use it though coz I bought them as gifts for my friend. Hahaha! Btw, the colors are very nice. I haven't been to malls lately and it's the first time I've known that SM Dept Store had a renovation. UGH! I'm living on a cave!

8. Julz
    June 28, 2011

Hi Swexie,

Thanks for the follow.

Yep, SM just uncovered its new beauty bar skin and there's a lot to look forward to.

About L.A. Colors, yes, they're pretty cheap. However, when I found out that SM was selling them for a much steeper price, I got worried that my lippies we're fake. I searched for some answers though, and here's what I for from Project Vanity

You have quite a unique name, by the way. ^_^

9. mariel
    November 4, 2012

NO! the ones in NC aren't fake 🙂 i have been using stuff from LA colors that i brought from NC and i researched the price from the LA colors website and i found that they match the price of the ones that i got from NC 🙂 and yes, SM does sell products at a higher price compared to NC which explains why i never buy anything from SM anymore 🙂

10. CJ
    July 23, 2013

No! There aren't any fakes from that brand. SM jacks-up their prices like to no end compared to the US prices or other places you can get them at. Don't worry it's not fake!! 🙂

11. Pauline Reyes
    July 31, 2014

Hi Miss Julz,
    Can you please post photos of the original and the fake one? By the way, have you confirmed if what you purchased are really fake? I've read from Ms. Mariel and CJ that there are no fake L.A. lippies from SM.
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

12. Julie Ann Tolentino
    August 1, 2014

Hi Pauline,

The ones I have aren't fake. It's just that SM is just overpriced compared to the other mall, which sells them for a little over the factory price. 🙂

13. Pauline Reyes